Saturday, August 15, 2015

Angels are real, and I met one.

In my last post, I told you about the accident I had. I mentioned how there was a man, that I could remember his face, his voice. Remember that? 
************

I was at work on Wednesday night. I work at Casey's in Catlin, but they are redoing our store, so I was moved to the Westville store. Wednesday was my last night there. We were always busy, but this night, was basically dead. Randomly, though, we had a rush of people, probably about 7-10 people in the store. I was making coffee, and went around, behind the counter, because we needed to use both registers. 
"Can I help who's next?" I looked at this man, feeling a familiarity in his face. 
"Do you recognize me?" he asked. "Your last name is Fester, right?" 
I squinted, brought my hands to my face, and tried figuring out how I knew him. "I'm sorry, I just can't seem to remember you. But I feel like I should." 
"Well, that makes sense." The man looked down, looking sort of disappointed. "I was the person that found you when you had an accident about a month ago." 
My jaw dropped, my eyes widened. 
This couldn't really be happening, right?
"Wh-- Are you serious?!" I felt a smile creeping across my face. His face lit up a little. 
He laughed a little bit, "Yes, that's me."
"Oh my word, what is your name!? I have been trying to figure out who you are ever since my accident!!"
"My name is Greg." 
When he said that, a flash of a memory came back to me. I remember him saying those words while I was in the car. That must have been when I saw his face. 
"I have to hug you!!" 

The other people in the store looked terribly confused, but everything stopped in that moment. I didn't care that I was on the clock. I didn't care that there were several customers. I was talking to the angel that saved my life.

Greg and I talked for the few minutes that it took to pay for his fuel. He filled in some blanks, expressing that he was honestly just happy to see me alive. He showed me a scar that still remains on his arm from running down the hill and shutting my car off. I stood in shock. 

After Greg left, I stared. I couldn't focus on anything. After rushing to finish with the other customers, I stopped, took a breath, and looked at my coworker, Melissa. "I have to go call my aunt!" 
I called Ninna and we celebrated this joyous moment. I sat on the curb while two other coworkers walked by me and asked if I was okay. I must have looked like I had seen a ghost. 
Little did they know it wasn't a ghost, but rather an angel. 
 *********

It's been only a few days, and I still can't believe what happened. I can't believe that I met the man that saved me. And the fact that he came into THAT Casey's (when he doesn't even live near Westville!), on my LAST night there, during MY shift. . . It still baffles me. 
 ******

The last month has been a hectic one.
I had my accident.
I started work at a new store.
I had to relearn how to do things at the store.
I struggled with migraines.
But this last month has been great. 

I not only met some amazing people that came in as customers and left as friends, but I also began friendships with new coworkers that I adore. The customers picked on me, and laughed with me. I had several that would stand there for several minutes (a few for almost an hour) talking to me about their lives. On Thursday, my last day there, one of the women that came in daily hugged me, and told me that it was an honor to get to know me. 
But no, it was an honor getting to know her, and MANY others.
I gained friends that make me want to be the best me possible. I laughed every single time I was working, feeling such joy from those I worked with. To say that I will miss them is an understatement, for they taught me so much. 
*****

On Thursday night, I drove to Indy to pick up Abby (a friend from college). We spent the next day shopping in Champaign. I had to take her back to the airport today, and it was sad to see her go. I'm so thankful for the time I had with her, though!
*** 

This past week was crazy. But amazing.
This past month was crazy. But amazing. 
And it just goes right along with me life, because. . .

This life is crazy. 
But amazing. 
*

 This is Kendra, one of the girls I worked with in Westville, and her kids! They came in just to see me on my last day at work! I played with the little ones, Zora and Em, and it brightened my day so much.

 Robyn, another coworker in Westville, quickly became one of my favorites. We laughed so much, and she picked on me probably more than anyone. But it was totally okay, because her heart is genuine, and her spirit is rich. 

  

   



Life is tricky sometimes. 
Doors open and close. 
Learn from every experience.
And love every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment